Beginning in early January, the younger skiers meet each Saturday, forming Color Groups with similar abilities. These groups are led by volunteer coaches. Each coach has a checklist of skills to be taught at each level. Click here to see the detail of the skills learned at each level.
- Green Group This group is for first time skiers. The focus is learning the basic skills of skiing while having fun playing games and exploring the trails. Sometime they may even find a stuffed tiger or two hidden in the snow. Kids in this group will need classic ski equipment and generally use waxless skis.
- Blue Group Skiers in this group should be able to ski 3-4 km comfortably in 1 hour. This group continues to focus on classic ski technique by skiing and by playing ski games aimed at improving balance and agility. If there are a lot of blue skiers, this group may be split into Blue1 and Blue2.
- Red Group The red group is known as the learn to skate group however they continue to work on classic technique as well. Skiers placed in this group should be able to ski 5-6 km comfortably in an hour. It is recommended that skiers in this group dress in layers as once they get moving a heavy winter coat is going to be too warm.
- Yellow Group The Yellow group is for kids that are able to skate and classic ski and can ski 6-8 km comfortably in an hour. This group continues to work basic ski technique by doing drills, skiing and playing ski games.
- Thursday Tigers Is for kids that want to ski more than once a week. Age groups vary from year to year. Coaches play ski games and other activities to work on balance and agility while having fun.