Youth Program (Also know as Color Groups)
Beginning in early January, the younger skiers (ages 5-13) meet each Saturday, forming Color Groups with similar abilities. These groups are led by volunteer coaches. Each coach has a checklist of skills to be taught at each level. Click here to see the detail of the skills learned at each level.
- Green Group: This group is for first time skiers. The focus is learning the basic skills of skiing while having fun playing games and exploring the trails. Sometime they may even find a stuffed tiger or two hidden in the snow. Kids in this group will need classic ski equipment and generally use waxless skis. Each skier is accompanied by a parent.
- Grey (Pink) Group: Grey skiers are usually our second year green skiers. These skiers are beginning to grasp the basics of classic skiing and go faster and farther than the green group but are not up to the speed and distance of the blue group. Parents are recommended to ski with their skiers but are not required.
- Blue (1&2) Group: Skiers in this group should be able to ski 3-4 km comfortably in an hour. This group continues to focus on classic ski technique by skiing and by playing ski games aimed at improving balance and agility.
- Purple1 Group: Skiers in this group should be able to ski 4-5 km comfortably in an hour. This group goes farther and faster than the blue group and will begin to face more challenging terrain involving bigger hills, and longer distances away from the trail head. These skiers continue to focus on classic technique.
- Purple2 Group: This is a learn to ski group for older (~11yrs and up) new skiers. These skiers continue to focus on classic technique.
- Red Group: The red group is known as the "learn to skate (ski)" group but they also continue to work on classic technique. Skiers placed in this group should be able to ski 5-6 km comfortably in an hour. It is recommended that skiers in this group dress in layers as once they get moving a heavy winter coat is going to be too warm. This group of skiers will need both classic and skate skis or a combi ski (which can be used for skating or classic skiing)
- Yellow Group: The Yellow group is for kids that are able to skate and classic ski and can ski 6-8 km comfortably in an hour. This group continues to work on their ski technique by doing drills, skiing and playing ski games. They use both classic and skate ski gear
- Thursday Tigers: Are for red and yellow group skiers that want to ski more than once a week. Coaches play ski games and other activities to work on balance and agility while having fun. This group will meet during the week (usually Thursdays) to get in some more fun in the snow.