Copper Country Ski Tigers provides young skiers (ages 5-18) with cross-country skiing instruction, fun on the snow and companionship. Everyone from first-time skiers to high school racers receives individual and age-appropriate instruction. Ski Tigers emphasizes families skiing together and having fun.
Youth Program Beginning in early January, the younger skiers meet each Saturday, forming Color Groups with similar abilities. These groups are led by volunteer coaches. Each coach has a checklist of skills to be taught at each level. Click here to see the detail of the skills learned at each level.
- Green Group This group is for first time skiers. The focus is learning the basic skills of skiing while having fun playing games and exploring the trails. Sometime they may even find a stuffed tiger or two hidden in the snow. Kids in this group will need classic ski equipment and generally use waxless skis.
- Blue Group Skiers in this group should be able to ski 3-4Km comfortably in 1 hour. This group continues to focus on classic ski technique by skiing and by playing ski games aimed at improving balance and agility. If there are a lot of blue skiers, this group may be split into Blue1 and Blue2.
- Red Group The red group is known as the learn to skate group however they continue to work on classic technique as well. Skiers placed in this group should be able to ski 5-6km comfortably in an hour. It is recommended that skiers in this group dress in layers as once they get moving a heavy winter coat is going to be too warm.
- Yellow Group The Yellow group is for kids that are able to skate and classic ski and can ski 6-8km comfortably in an hour. This group continues to work basic ski technique by doing drills, skiing and playing ski games.
- Bronze Group The Bronze group is for kids that are able to skate and classic ski and can ski 8-10km comfortably in an hour. This group continues to work basic ski technique by doing drills, skiing lots and playing ski games.
- Thursday Tigers Typically is open to all color groups. Coaches play ski games and other activities to work on balance and agility while having fun.
Older Skiers (11-18yrs) have the option to continue to ski recreationally with the Adventure Group or to join our Development and Competition program.
- Adventure Group This group is for kids who love to ski, but aren’t necessarily interested in racing. Skiers must have completed one year in yellow to be eligible to ski in the adventure group. The adventure group does lots of fun ski adventures such as ski-jouring, backcountry skiing, and winter camping.
Development (Devo) Team (U12/U14) The Devo team consists of skiers between 11 and 14 years of age. This group practices on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays starting in mid-November. They focus on balance, agility and speed using good ski technique. They also learn how to wax their own skies for classic skiing. The development team typically attends 4-6 races as a team over the course of the winter.
Competition (Comp) Team (U16/U18/U20) The Comp team consists of skiers between 14 and 18 years of age. This group practices Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. They focus on improving ski technique, waxing and training for racing. The Comp team typically attends 8-10 races as a team over the course of the winter. Skiers also have the opportunity to qualify for Junior Nationals and J2 Championships.